We enable our customers to showcase their rental and sale items on a customizable web store. Our customers can also manage payments by charging customer credit cards. We aim to give you the best Point of Sale experience for your rental business using our online rental software.
In order to quickly process online payments through credit card, EZRentOut also integrates with Authorize.net, Payflow, Stripe, Square POS and Moneris (Beta). This blog will detail how you can charge payments in EZRentOut using Braintree Payment Solution.
EZRentOut supports following features on Braintree integration
|Payment on Webstore||Payment via Mobile App||Payment via Broadband App||Payment via Customer Portal||Refund Payments|
|Multiple Gateways||Card on File Payments||Automate Recurring Payments||QuickBooks Sync (Desktop and Online)||Xero Sync|
1. Integrating the Braintree account
1. You’ll need a Braintree account to manage Credit Card payments. (Note: EZRentOut does not charge any commission/fee on transactions).
2. Integrate your Braintree account from Settings → Add Ons → Enable Payments through Credit Card → Select ‘Use Braintree’.
3. You’ll be required to enter your merchant account ID, merchant ID, public key and private key. These are available in your Braintree account. Here’s how you can locate these details in your Braintree account:
a. Log in to your Braintree account. Go to Settings > Processing > Under ‘Merchant Accounts’ section, you’ll find your Merchant Account ID e.g. sbhconstructions.
b. To locate the remaining information to integrate, go to Account → My User → Under ‘API Keys, Tokenization Keys, Encryption Keys’ → Hit ‘View Authorizations.
c. In the ‘Authorizations’ page, you can find the public and private API key.
Note: If there are no API keys visible here, you can generate new API key. For further details, click here.
d. Merchant ID is visible under ‘Client-side Encryption Keys’. OR click ‘View’ under API Keys → Private Key to locate all 3 fields i.e. public and private API key, and the merchant ID.
4. Now that you’ve located all the information required for the integration, enter your Merchant Account Id, Merchant Id, Public Key and Private Key information in order to enable credit card payments for orders. For more information on how to get these keys, click here.
5. Once you’ve entered all the keys, hit the ‘Verify Account’ button to check whether Braintree has been successfully connected or not. See below image for reference:
6. You can also choose to check the option ‘Keep credit card on file when customer enters details from the customer portal’ (as shown in the image above). This will save the credit card details last provided by customers via customer portal. These details can then be used to charge any future payments. If unchecked, then any credit card information entered through the customer portal will not be kept on file.
Note: If credit card details of a customer are entered by staff or admin user, they are always saved to your merchant gateways’ on-file storage, avoiding the need to re-enter credit card details for subsequent orders. For security reasons, EZRentOut doesn’t record this credit card information in its own database. Instead, EZRentOut creates credit card profiles of customers in Braintree and only accesses this credit card information on ‘charge payment’ requests. To check the credit card profiles of customers, log in to your Braintree account and click ‘Vault’ under advanced search in the main left-side menu.
7. Once done, scroll down to the end of the settings page and click ‘Update.’ This will save the settings and successfully connect your EZRentOut account to Braintree.
2. Swiping the cards
Let’s take a look at how charging payment via Braintree works in EZRentOut!
1. On the Order Details page, with every Customer you’ll see the Credit Card icon.
Read More: How orders work in EZRentOut
2. The following is the form that pops-up when you click the red/green Credit Card icon. You can either scan the customer’s credit card that allows us to catch all the details or add in the credit card details manually.
3. Once the credit card information is entered, it’s saved on file (in Braintree’s database).
4. Now when charging payment on this Order, you can choose to use the Credit Card already on file or use a different card and update the card on file for this Customer.
5. Hit ‘Submit’ and your online transaction will be processed. You can now see that a credit card payment has been charged using Braintree which is visible on the order pricing table.
Your payment will now appear in your Braintree account under Left-side Main Menu Panel → Transactions (see image below for reference):
3. Charging mass payments for multiple Orders
You can charge payment for multiple orders to the same or different customers in one go. To do this, do the following:
- Go to Orders listing page and multi-select orders you need to charge payment for.
- Click on ‘Actions’ and select ‘Charge Payment’.
- A dialog box will appear for Order Payments (see image below). Here you can configure details such as Payment Date, preferred Payment Gateway, order payment specifics, and Comments.
Note: CC payments can only be charged to customers with their cards saved on-file.
- Hit ‘Charge Payment’ once done. Here’s what you should see next:
However, you need to know of a few tips before you start charging payments for multiple Orders.
4. Pre-authorize or hold payments
Pre-Authorizing a payment is also supported. Say, you want to hold an advance payment of $275 and when the payment date arrives, deduct the entire rental price e.g. $429, including the pre-authorized amount. You just need to choose ‘Pre-Authorize’ when charging payment.
You can then charge or cancel the hold.
- If you charge the Pre-Authorized amount, your customer has to pay the remaining $154 via card or cash
- If you cancel the Pre-Authorized amount, your customer is entitled to pay the entire rental fee of $429 via card or cash.
5. Charging payments through Braintree on the Webstore
Customers who place orders via Webstore can also pay for orders through Credit Cards. This can be enabled from Settings > Store Settings > Order Settings> Enable Payment through Webstore. On the cart page, they can click ‘Pay Now’ which will take them to the payment details page.
Guest shoppers or new customers will have to fill in the details, while the existing ones will view a pre-populated page (this will happen if you are keeping the details on file when integrating Braintree from Settings > Add Ons).
All these payments will also appear in your Braintree account under Transactions.
6. Syncing payments in accounting applications
When renting out an order, the customer is created in QuickBooks if they don’t already exist. Customer details and payments are synced whenever the relevant transactions are synced. Any payments made either in QuickBooks or EZRentOut are synced. It’s a two-way street!
All payments recorded in Braintree (by default, all rented out orders) can also be synced in QuickBooks under Sales > Invoices. All these payments are also synced in your Xero account.
Note: All the details (except payments) are pushed from EZRentOut to QuickBooks. Your QuickBooks transactions, customers or taxes are not pulled into EZRentOut.
Share your online rental experience
We’d love to hear about your EZRentOut experience. Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The User Community Forum is a great place to log suggestions and discuss them. Check out the features our equipment rental software covers.